We fully understand the fear and anxiety that can accompany immigration issues. The complex laws and endless paperwork can quickly feel insurmountable.

At Masferrer & Associates, we believe you shouldn’t have to do it alone. With passion and perseverance, our team of attorneys will do whatever it takes to ensure your rights are protected, your family remains intact, and you’re afforded all the opportunities you deserve.
— Sarah J. Schendel, Attorney

Areas of Specialization



Regardless of immigration status, we are here to help your family reunite, stay together, and build a life in the United States. Many families are “mixed status” and have members who have overstayed their visas or have no status in the United States, along with United States Citizens and residents. We would be honored to help you petition for family members, become a citizen, or apply for permission to work.


Immigration Proceedings:

Whether you were stopped at the border, detained at the airport, or you’ve been living in the United States for many years, being placed in immigration proceedings can be scary. The stakes are high, as missing even one immigration court date can result in a removal (deportation) order. Luckily, we have years of experience handling cases in immigration court, and can help you understand your options.


Consular Processing:

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident or Citizen of the United States and have family living outside of the U.S., you may be able to help them enter the country as residents. The laws are quite complicated, but we can help you through the process, taking your case from USCIS to the National Visa Center to the Consulate/Embassy in your country to a Green Card in your relative’s hand.

Following the rejection of the Defense of Marriage Act, we are now able to represent same-sex couples eligible to petition for their loved ones. We pride ourselves in helping all families pursue their right to live together here in the United States. 

Criminal Immigration:

If you’re an immigrant facing criminal charges, or a criminal defendant who has questions regarding your immigration status, it is very important that you talk to someone who understands both issues. A plea that is a good deal for your criminal case might hinder your immigration status. Because of our expertise in both criminal and immigration law, our team is uniquely suited to provide you with the important information you need before you take any plea or go to trial.

We have won residency cases for clients with complicated criminal histories, and have had cases terminated that had been open for years, enabling clients to get their green cards back.


  • Asylum / Refugee
  • Naturalization
  • Removal / Deportation Proceedings
  • Permanent Resident Visas (Green Cards)
  • Nonimmigrant (Temporary) Visa
  • Fiancé Visas



In order to provide the most efficient and effective service, we handle immigration cases in a number of steps, ensuring that your case gets the attention it deserves.

When you first call our office, you will do a pre-interview with our paralegal, who will find out the details of your case and order any necessary documents. She will then schedule an appointment for you to meet with the immigration attorney.

At this first consultation, which is always free of charge, the immigration attorney will review with you the information you have provided, explore your options, and help you understand the choices and steps ahead of you.

Please keep in mind that there are often rumors circulating about immigration laws and new developments, and it’s important to consult a knowledgeable immigration attorney to fully understand what forms of relief are available to you.

Frequently Asked Questions


Where is the Immigration Court?

Boston Immigration Court, John F. Kennedy Federal Building, 15 New Sudbury St., #320, Boston, MA 02203. (617) 565-3080

However, just because your address is in the Boston area doesn’t mean your case is in the Boston court, especially if you were stopped at the US-Mexico border or in another state. It’s very important that you make sure your case is located in the right court; otherwise, you might miss a hearing. Missing even one hearing may result in you being ordered removed (deported) from the United States.

What is a Notice To Appear?

Put simply, a Notice To Appear (NTA) is a document that states why the government thinks you should be removed from the United States. The NTA will inform you of the nature of the proceedings against you in immigration court, the alleged immigration law violation, the option of being represented by an attorney, and the consequences of failing to appear at the hearing. It must also inform you of the time and place you have to appear before an Immigration Judge.

How can I find out if I have a hearing?

It is imperative that you don’t miss a single court date. If you know your “A-number,” you can call the EOIR hotline and follow the prompts to find out the time and location of your next court date: 1.800.898.7180.

What happens if I’m given a notice to appear at the Immigration Court?

Once the NTA is filed with the proper Immigration Court, you will be scheduled for a Master Hearing, the first appearance before an Immigration Judge. There will also be an attorney for the government present, who will be prosecuting your case.

What happens at the Master Hearing?

This is where you will learn of the charges you are facing, You will also be asked to say whether you agree with the charges against you, and what forms of relief you want to seek (i.e. what applications you want to file). This may all happen in one hearing, or over two or three hearings.

Do I need a lawyer?

If you receive the NTA, we encourage you to contact an attorney for legal assistance. Our office provides free consultations during which we can help you understand what is going on with your case, along with your options in immigration court. Most of all, it is crucial that you attend the NTA hearing or you risk receiving an order of deportation for failure to appear.

What do I need to bring to my initial consultation?

You should bring any criminal and immigration paperwork you have. Even if you think it’s not important, please bring it with you. It may be useful later on in the process.

Where can I obtain these documents?

Criminal dockets and police reports can be obtained in the district courts. Your immigration paperwork includes copies of any documents already submitted. Immigration will also give you paperwork (NTA) with information about when and where to attend immigration court. Those should also be brought to the consultation.

What happens after the initial consultation?

If you decide to retain the attorney, we will draft a contract, have you review and sign it, and ask you to make an initial deposit. We will also give you a list of documents and information you should begin collecting so that we are able to start the process right away.

How much is the initial consultation?

Your initial consultation is free of charge.

Do you offer payment plans?

Absolutely. We can review your payment plan options during your initial consultation.


If You Or A Loved One Has Received A Notice To Appear, Don't Panic.

Make An Appointment To Come Talk To Us About Your Options.