Immigration Law

At Masferrer & Associates we believe that all families, no matter how they are formed, are important. We zealously advocate for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender immigrants and their families in order to keep families together and protect refugees.

Even before the Defense of Marriage Act was struck down, Masferrer & Associates has been proud to represent LGBT immigrants and their families in applications for residency and asylum. Post-DOMA, the firm is excited to represent same-sex couples that are now rightfully eligible to petition for their loved ones, here in the United States and abroad.

If you or your loved one is seeking permanent residence (a “green card”) through a same-sex spouse, we encourage you to seek legal guidance prior to filling a petition with U.S Citizenship and Immigration services.

The laws and regulations surrounding immigration can be complex, often confusing, and ever evolving. We are proud to defend the rights of all LGTB families, and will vigorously fight for your right to live together here in the United States.

We also provide assistance in a variety of immigration areas, including:

  • Asylum / Refugee
  • Individuals and Families
  • Naturalization
  • Removal / Deportation Proceedings
  • Permanent Resident Visas (Green Cards)
  • Nonimmigrant (Temporary) Visas
  • Fiancé Visas

Criminal Law

Facing criminal charges can be a distressing, life-changing event. That’s why we’re here to help. It is our mission to aid you in clearly understanding the charges against you, help you navigate the complex legal process, and provide you with thoughtful, vigorous representation.

With more than 20 years of collective criminal defense experience, our defense team approaches each new criminal case with empathy, compassion, and open minds. No matter how difficult the road may seem, we never give up on challenging cases. If you’re ready to fight the charges against you, we’re ready to fight alongside you.


We represent clients during all stages of a criminal litigation, from arraignment through trial, in all of the Massachusetts courts and throughout the United States in the federal court system. We also represent clients in Massachusetts state courts and in federal courts through all stages of post-conviction litigation, including appealing a guilty verdict after trial, moving to vacate a conviction after a plea, or appealing a court’s denial of a motion to vacate a conviction.

Frequently Asked Questions


Where is the Immigration Court?

Boston Immigration Court, John F. Kennedy Federal Building, 15 New Sudbury St., #320, Boston, MA 02203. (617) 565-3080

However, just because your address is in the Boston area doesn’t mean your case is in the Boston court, especially if you were stopped at the US-Mexico border or in another state. It’s very important that you make sure your case is located in the right court; otherwise, you might miss a hearing. Missing even one hearing may result in you being ordered removed (deported) from the United States.

What is a Notice To Appear?

Put simply, a Notice To Appear (NTA) is a document that states why the government thinks you should be removed from the United States. The NTA will inform you of the nature of the proceedings against you in immigration court, the alleged immigration law violation, the option of being represented by an attorney, and the consequences of failing to appear at the hearing. It must also inform you of the time and place you have to appear before an Immigration Judge.

How can I find out if I have a hearing?

It is imperative that you don’t miss a single court date. If you know your “A-number,” you can call the EOIR hotline and follow the prompts to find out the time and location of your next court date: 1.800.898.7180.

What happens if I’m given a notice to appear at the Immigration Court?

Once the NTA is filed with the proper Immigration Court, you will be scheduled for a Master Hearing, the first appearance before an Immigration Judge. There will also be an attorney for the government present, who will be prosecuting your case.

What happens at the Master Hearing?

This is where you will learn of the charges you are facing, You will also be asked to say whether you agree with the charges against you, and what forms of relief you want to seek (i.e. what applications you want to file). This may all happen in one hearing, or over two or three hearings.

Do I need a lawyer?

If you receive the NTA, we encourage you to contact an attorney for legal assistance. Our office provides free consultations during which we can help you understand what is going on with your case, along with your options in immigration court. Most of all, it is crucial that you attend the NTA hearing or you risk receiving an order of deportation for failure to appear.

What do I need to bring to my initial consultation?

You should bring any criminal and immigration paperwork you have. Even if you think it’s not important, please bring it with you. It may be useful later on in the process.

Where can I obtain these documents?

Criminal dockets and police reports can be obtained in the district courts. Your immigration paperwork includes copies of any documents already submitted. Immigration will also give you paperwork (NTA) with information about when and where to attend immigration court. Those should also be brought to the consultation.

What happens after the initial consultation?

If you decide to retain the attorney, we will draft a contract, have you review and sign it, and ask you to make an initial deposit. We will also give you a list of documents and information you should begin collecting so that we are able to start the process right away.

How much is the initial consultation?

Your initial consultation is free of charge.

Do you offer payment plans?

Absolutely. We can review your payment plan options during your initial consultation.